As you’ve gotten older, everything has changed – including your smile. Your once radiant grin now has a few blank spots from missing teeth. You’re finally ready for dental implants in West Orange, but you’re not sure if they’re really the best option over dentures or a bridge. In this post, learn all about this superior artificial upgrade and how you can get your winning smile back from the experts at D&G Dental.
What Are Dental Implants?
As the most respected experts in implant dentistry in West Orange, Dr. Medhat Dawoud, Dr. Paula Gencarelli, and Dr. Shanin Ghobadi explain that dental implants consist of three pieces:
- Implant – The implant itself is a biocompatible titanium post that will be surgically placed in your jaw. This will become the secure foundation for the rest of your replacement tooth.
- Abutment – This is the connecting piece between the implant and- the tooth-shaped “cap.” Once the implant is strong enough and has fused with your jawbone, the abutment will then be affixed to the post.
- Crown – This is the part of the replacement that looks like the tooth. The long-lasting, natural-looking porcelain dental crown will be secured to the abutment after that part is added, restoring your smile to its former glory.
Why Are Dental Implants Better Than Dentures Or Bridges?
Our team knows that dental implants are the gold standard for replacing teeth for a reason – they’re superior to dentures, partials, and fixed dental bridges for many reasons:
- Jaw Strength – Unlike bridges and dentures that cause your jawbone to recede from the pressure that occurs every time you chew, dental implants actually increase bone density and keep your jaw strong.
- Better Speech & Chewing – Your teeth not only make your smile look great, they’re a vital part of speaking and digesting food. Since the implants will stay in place and won’t wiggle, you’ll be able to eat all your favorite foods, and you’ll never have to worry about mumbling or being misunderstood when you talk.
- Protect Natural Teeth – When you lose teeth, the ones that remain shift to fill in the extra space, which causes alignment issues and puts them at risk for breaks and chips. Your dental implant will keep the rest of your teeth safe by making sure they stay in proper position.
- Appearance – Although dentures, partials, and bridges work just fine, implants look better because they blend right in with your natural teeth. The porcelain will match your natural grin perfectly.
- Longevity & Cost – While other replacement options may be less expensive up front, you’ll actually save money with a dental implant over the course of a lifetime. Dental implants can last indefinitely with proper treatment, as opposed to dentures and bridges that last 15 years, max, and will need to be replaced.
- Stay-Put Smile – Who wants to put their smile in a cup at night? You won’t have to worry about the embarrassment of removable dentures in your daily life, even when you kiss your sweetheart. And, you can say goodbye to messy dental adhesives, too.
Now that you know that dental implants are the best option for you, schedule your appointment with D&G Dental today and make your smile healthy and bright again!