Single Tooth Implants – West Orange
Flawless Dental Restoration
At D&G Dental, our goal is always to create dental care plans that help patients maintain the optimal level of oral health, preserve natural tooth structures whenever possible, and flawlessly recreate function when we can’t save damaged teeth. That’s why we offer dental implant tooth replacement options in our West Orange and Caldwell dental offices. If you’ve lost one or more teeth, call to schedule a tooth replacement consultation to get started renewing your oral health today.
Importance of Replacing Missing Teeth
Many people think that, as long as it’s not visible when they smile, it’s not important to replace a single lost tooth. Unfortunately, this is just not the case. Even one missing tooth can have a number of adverse effects on the smile, including:
- Dental drift – teeth shifting to fill the gap in the smile
- Dental damage – excess strain on surrounding teeth leads to chips and cracks
- Enamel wear – remaining teeth absorb more pressure and wear down more quickly, increasing risk for tooth decay
- Lost supportive structure – with the stimulus of tooth roots, supportive bone and gum tissue will diminish over time which can lead to further tooth loss
Dental Restoration Options
When it comes to single tooth replacement, there are two main restoration options. The traditional method is a dental crown supported fixed bridge. These restoration prosthetics are crafted using two dental crowns to support a replacement tooth. The crowns are then affixed to healthy teeth on either side of the gap in your smile. Fixed bridges look and feel much like your healthy tooth. However, they don’t replace the lost root structures, and they require the removal of healthy tooth enamel.
These are the two main reasons we recommend implant supported dental crowns rather than fixed bridges. The dental implant post mimics your lost tooth root to support a custom crafted, high quality dental crown. Once in place, your implant supported dental crown will stay healthy and functional for two or more decades.
The Dental Implant Process
Dental implant tooth replacement is completed over the course of several months. It all starts with a tooth replacement consultation in our West Orange or Caldwell dental office. If implant supported tooth replacement is the right option for you, we’ll complete preparatory procedures to maximize your chances for successful dental implant placement. We may need to remove a damaged tooth, place a bone or gum tissue graft, and provide restorative treatments to improve oral health. Then, we’ll schedule your dental implant procedure. This surgical treatment is completed in just a few hours. We make a small incision in the gums. Then, the implant post is positioned into the jawbone. Once in place, you’ll need to wait for the implant to fuse with supportive structures before we can attach your dental crown. When the implant is set, you’ll return to our office where we’ll attach an abutment and design your crown. Once we receive the final dental crown from our lab, you’ll return to our office, so we can affix your final, flawless restoration.
Benefits of Dental Implant Tooth Replacement
There are many benefits of single tooth dental implant restorations including:
- An implant supported dental crown can last twenty years or longer with proper care compared with a fixed bridge that needs to be replaced every five to ten years.
- Implant retained crowns are fully self-supporting, so all of your healthy tooth structure is protected.
- Restoring the tooth roots means that your single tooth implant restoration provides the stimulus to help you maintain healthy bone and gum tissue.
- The implant supported crown will also blend flawlessly into your natural dental structures, recreating your flawless smile.